Posted onMay 19, 2022 by parklandfup
Volunteer & HR Coordinator
The purpose of Parkland Food Bank is to address food insecurity among residents of Spruce Grove, Stony Plain and Parkland County by providing weekly access to healthy food, to individuals and families in short term, long term, and emergency situations.
Do you have a passion to make a difference in the community?
Are you passionate about working with diverse individuals?
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Parkland Food Bank operations. We simply could not provide the services we do without the members of our community stepping up to give their time and talents week after week. In 2021 we had 220 individuals volunteer with us, providing 18,758 hours of assistance.
Parkland Food Bank is looking for a versatile individual that has the experience of Human Resource management but wants a challenging career working from the standpoint of people first. We have an incredibly diverse workforce, and our Volunteer/HR Coordinator must be able to motivate and encourage unpaid and paid staff alike.
How to apply:
Both cover letter and resume is required by interested candidates and is to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Competition will remain open until successful candidate is found.
Job Type: 35 Hours/week
Salary range based on experience: $45,500 – $ 54,600.00/annually
Parkland Food Bank Society requires all employees and volunteers to be fully vaccinated.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
We are currently seeking a Volunteer/HR Coordinator to join our team. This is a full-time position based out of Spruce Grove, Alberta. The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Attracting and retaining volunteers and staff whose values and philosophy are aligned with those of the PFB
- Increasing volunteers’ understanding about PFB’ mission and goals
- Determine organizational needs that volunteers could fill
- Develop public awareness of our volunteer program
- Develop and update volunteer management materials such as volunteer screening practices, orientation, and training manual
- Recruit, interview, select and evaluate volunteers
- Provide orientation and training for volunteers
- Supervise volunteers or provide support for the other staff who supervise volunteers
- Develop targeted volunteer recognition programs and activities
- Maintaining daily schedule for volunteers
- Update and maintain the volunteer database
- Evaluate volunteer attraction and retention programs
- Assist Executive Director with volunteer management for major food bank fundraising events
Human Resources (Paid Staff)
- Advertise vacant positions
- Screen applicants
- Administer onboarding and offboarding practices
- Develop, implement, and evaluate health, safety, and wellness policies, programs, and procedures (for example, attendance policies, duty to accommodate procedures, or programs to educate employees about violence and harassment)
- Ensure compliance through training, monitoring, and reporting
- Ensure compliance with employment, human rights, safety, and other relevant legislation
- Provide advice about employee and labour relations issues
- Tracking staff hours and payroll
A successful Volunteer Coordinator will possess the following specialized skills, knowledge, and characteristics:
- A demonstrated commitment to volunteerism
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Initiative- capable of identifying priorities and adjust to deadlines and demands
- An outgoing, energetic, and optimistic manner; servant heart/ service focus
- Excellent communication skills
- The ability to balance the needs of the organization with the needs and interests of the volunteers
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Patience and tact in dealing with others
- The ability to multitask
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team
They should enjoy helping others, compiling information, and maintaining contact with other agencies, and developing innovative approaches to resolve challenges.
Diploma or Certificate in Human Resources, Business, Volunteer Management or related social science.
3+ years Human Resource Experience.
Volunteer/HR Coordinator needs very strong computer skills (PFB works in a Microsoft (PC) environment using Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher along with Volgistics Volunteer Management Program) together with the following management skills:
- Interviewing skills
- Training, coaching, team building and leadership skills
- Planning and administrative skills
- Conflict resolution skills
Days and Hours
Some of the work may be done from home with the expectation that volunteer interviewing and training would fall around the food bank open hours.
This position requires some evening emailing with last minute volunteer schedule changes.