New to Parkland Food Bank?
- Please call 780-962-4565 so we can register you and book your appointment
- Be prepared. When you are registering, we will ask some personal questions like:
- basic expenses, including rent, mortgage, utilities, childcare
- we will need ONE ID number for each household member (such as: drivers license, AB Health, Birth Certificate, etc.)
- Once you have called and been approved for a food hamper, we will book you a specific time to pick-up your hamper.
**Note** Changes to Parkland Food Bank Hamper Program
Monthly Hamper is available once every calendar month, by appointment only.
Monthly Hamper consists of:
- Box of pantry items;
- Milk, Meat, Eggs;
- Frozen goods;
- Bread and Pastries;
- Household supplies as available;
- Personal supplies as available.
- If there are babies on file, we can also include diapers, baby food, and formula as available.
- Be on time: Please be in the parking lot before your appointment time.
- Look for the time: There will be a sign attached to the front door indicating what appointment time we are currently serving. Please do not come inside if it is not your appointment time. A volunteer will come out and give you instructions and let you in as soon as we are ready.
- If you are late: you may forfeit your hamper. Call us ASAP if you cannot make your appointment time.
- If you miss 3 appointment times without notifying the food bank, you may lose all access to the food bank.
- Hamper Delivery: If you need delivery of your hamper, call 780-962-4565 ext.1 to book your appointment. Do not book online as we need to work with our partner agency to set up a delivery time. Delivery appointment are limited.
- One person allowed in food bank building: To provide proper social distancing, we are only allowing those with appointments into the food bank building at your designated appointment time
- If you arrive without an appointment: you will be asked to call the hamper request line/book online and return at your designated time slot. We understand this is not ideal but we are focusing on trying to meet the demand in an unprecedented scenario. We can do this together!
Top-Up Hamper **New**
Top-Up Hamper is available with voucher only. No appointments will be booked for the Top-Up Hamper.
A voucher will be distributed to you at every Monthly Hamper Appointment, for one (1) use and will have specific dates the voucher will be valid between.
You will be responsible to take care of your voucher, it will NOT be replaced if lost.
Voucher is good for one Top-Up Hamper of all shopping items in front reception area of food bank:
- Specialty breads;
- Items from cooler and freezer;
- Feminine hygiene products;
- Baby supplies for babies listed in the household.
There will be a maximum of two (2) clients every twenty minutes for a Top-Up Hamper. First come-First served. Monthly Hamper Appointments will take priority.
When you arrive at the food bank for your Top-Up Hamper, please let the Door Volunteer know that you are there for a Top-Up Hamper and give them your voucher. They will then look at the schedule to see how to fit you in. Please stay outside at this point.
**No Top-Up Hampers will be available for the month of December.**
Please answer the following questions to:
- Book your Monthly Appointment **No Appointments will be booked for Top-Up Hampers**
If you cannot answer yes to all the following questions, please call 780-962-4565 and we will be happy to assist you!
Available time slots have a white box with red numbers.
HAMPER REQUEST LINE HOURS
Tuesday 8:30am – 4:00pm
Wednesday 8:30am – 1:00pm
Wednesday 6:20pm – 8:00pm
Friday 8:30am – 4:00pm
Saturday 8:30am – 12:00pm
HAMPER DISTRIBUTION HOURS
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Tuesday 9:00am – 12:00pm
Tuesday 1:20pm – 4:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am – 12:00pm
Wednesday 6:20pm – 8:00pm
Friday 9:00am – 12:00 pm
Friday 1:00pm – 4:00pm
Saturday 9:00am – 12:00pm
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do when the request line is busy?
Please be patient as our phones are very busy. If your call is disconnected, please keep trying. The phone lines are the busiest in the morning. You may have to call back or wait on the line.
The food bank only takes hamper request through the Hamper Request Phone Line. We cannot process hamper requests from social media or voicemails on administration lines. Please be patient, we’ll get to you as soon as we can!
What happens if I miss my pick-up time?
• It is extremely important that you arrive only at your assigned pick-up time!
• If you arrive earlier than the assigned time you will be asked to wait.
• If you arrive later than the assigned time, you will be asked to reschedule for another time.
• If you arrive without an appointment, you may be asked to exit the line, call the hamper request line and return at your designated time slot. We understand this is not ideal but we are focusing on trying to meet the demand in an unprecedented scenario
Can someone else pick up my hamper?
Absolutely. We just need you to tell us who will be picking up your food.
How often can I get a hamper?
You may receive a hamper once every calendar month.
What’s in a hamper?
Hampers consist of a box of pantry items, milk, meat, eggs, produce, frozen goods, bread, pastries, household supplies and personal supplies (as available). If there are babies on your file, we can also include diapers, baby food and formula. Hampers should provide 8 – 10 days worth of food.
- Volunteer transportation
- Assistance with Utilities
A minimum of three days notice is required to be matched with a volunteer.
- Employment Assistance
- Workshops for resumes and cover letters, interview skills, job search.
- Available computers, fax machines, photocopier for use.
Westgrove Building, 101, 131 – 1st Ave
Victim Services Society
- Emergency transportation to a shelter
- Police liaison
- Court Support
Money Mentors – 1-888-294-0076
Debt Management Programs
There may be food in your hamper that is past the best before date. Here are the guidelines we strive to follow in regards to food past the best before date.
- Planning Healthy Family Meals – Meal planning and shopping tips to help you organize and prepare meals for your family on a tight budget.
- Doing More With Less – Ideas on how to eat well even if you don’t have a lot of money to spend on food.
Family and Community Support Services
- Counselling services
- AISH Application Assistance
- Housing Guide
- Income Tax Clinic
- Home Support Services
- Community Kitchen
Spruce Grove Stony Plain Parkland County
780-962-7618 780-963-8583 780-968-8888
Dear Food Bank Staff, Volunteers and Supporters, You have all been a God-send to me this past year in dealing with financial difficulties and hardships. You have made life much easier to manage with all the help, assistance and work you have given me and our communities. It has made a world of difference! Thank… Read more »
Dec. 26, 2016
This is to all the awesome, amazing people who give their time and money to the Food Bank. I myself have recently been on medical for the last five months. All I’m entitled to (after paying taxes for the last 34 years) is $625 a month. I try. I fill out paperwork and wait, dot… Read more »